When a flying rock hits your windshield with just enough force, it can chip the glass. You gripe and grumble, but you know you must have the chip repaired before it spreads into a crack and requires a complete windshield replacement. Fortunately, Scott’s Fort Collins Auto provides both windshield repair and replacement services, depending on your needs.
Once your windshield is fixed, you should follow certain aftercare procedures to maximize safety and enjoy positive long-term results.
Benefits of Windshield Repair
When your windshield is chipped, you must act fast if you hope to fix the glass before the crack spreads beyond repair. In general, if a chip is less than 3/8 inch in diameter, or a crack is less than three inches long, your windshield probably qualifies for repair. The crack must also not reach the edge of the glass or be located directly in the driver’s line of sight.
When you bring your car to Scott’s Fort Collins Auto for windshield repair, you benefit in three ways:
- Affordability: Windshield repair is less expensive than a full replacement. Plus, the cost is often covered by your car insurance.
- Convenience: It usually takes under an hour to repair a windshield, compared to replacements that can take up to three hours. You also have less aftercare to worry about.
- Environmental responsibility: Repairing a chipped windshield keeps it in service longer, delaying the day it ends up in a landfill.
What to Expect After Repairing Your Windshield
It’s beneficial to go into the windshield repair process knowing exactly what to expect.
- Scarred repair area: Even the most professional chip repair can’t restore the glass to its original appearance. Expect a “scar” where the repair takes place. The blemish is hardly noticeable unless you look for it, and most importantly, the repair prevents the crack from spreading.
- No aftercare necessary: The resin we use to fix chipped windshields has a short curing time. In fact, it’s already cured when we polish and smooth the repaired area. This means, by the time you pick up your repaired car, no aftercare is necessary.
Benefits of Windshield Replacement
If a crack spreads, it’s vital to replace your windshield as soon as possible. Here’s why:
- Restore structural integrity: Vehicle manufacturers claim that your windshield comprises up to 60 percent of your car’s structural integrity. If you get into a rollover accident with a cracked windshield, your life is in greater danger. Lower your risk of injury in a car crash by replacing your broken windshield today.
- Renew visibility: The broken edges of cracked glass could reflect light from the sun, street lamps, or headlights into your eyes, creating a dangerous distraction. A new windshield provides flawless visibility for safer driving.
- Improve aesthetics: If you take pride in your car, a cracked windshield is embarrassing. Help your ride look its very best with a replacement windshield.
Windshield Replacement Aftercare
For the best results from your new windshield, heed these aftercare tips:
- Wait to drive away: The adhesive used to mount your new windshield must be completely cured before you drive your car home. Fortunately, this only takes about an hour.
- Delay your next car wash: Wait at least 24 hours after getting a new windshield to go through the car wash. High-pressure water is what puts the new windshield at risk, meaning rain, condensation, and hand-washing your vehicle pose no threat.
- Roll the windows down: Keeping your windows rolled down an inch or two for 24 hours prevents changes in air pressure from causing the windshield adhesive to spring a leak when you shut your car door.
- Leave the retention tape on: If you see tape on your windshield when you pick up your car, leave the tape on for 24 hours.
Schedule Windshield Repair or Replacement at Scott’s
We’re happy to provide windshield services alongside our other car repair and maintenance work. Stop by for any services you need, from an oil change to a timing belt replacement to an air conditioning recharge.
Contact Scott’s online or call us at (970) 682-4202 and let us know when you would like to stop by to have your windshield repaired or replaced.